Outstanding opportunity to apply your academic knowledge in real Public and Legal Affairs experience in a small highly motivated team!
Internship (Public Affairs/Legal Affairs)
· Applicants needs to be registered in a university, school, institute in an academic programme; ERASMUS students are welcome
· Duration six months
· Under the Belgian rules STM can pay a small monthly contribution (250,00 Euro) plus a monthly allowance for public transport (appr. 45,00 Euro)
· Start date: April 15 or latest May 1, 2018
STM is the leading global trade association for academic and professional publishers. It has over 140 members in 21 countries who each year collectively publish nearly 66% of all journal articles and tens of thousands of monographs and reference works. STM members include learned societies, university presses, private companies, new starts and established players.
STM aims and objectives are:
· to assist publishers and their authors in their activities in disseminating the results of research in the fields of science, technology and medicine;
· to assist national and international organisations and communications industries in the electronic environment, who are concerned with improving the dissemination, storage and retrieval of scientific, technical and medical information;
· to carry out the foregoing work of the Association in conjunction with the International Publishers Association (IPA) and with the national publishers associations and such other governmental and professional bodies, international and national, who may be concerned with these tasks.
STM participates in the development of information identification protocols and electronic copyright management systems. STM members are kept fully up to date (via newsletters, the STM website, and e-mail) about the issues which will ultimately affect their business. More information can be found on www.stm-assoc.org.
STM’s Public Affairs and Copyright and Legal Affairs Committees act as a forum for the discussion of government relations, strategy and policy issues. The committees provide recommendations as appropriate to the
STM is offering a full-time internship at its office in Brussels for a period of 6 months (a small allowance for transport and food will be paid). The ideal starting date for this position is April 15, 2018 but latest May 1, 2018.
The internship offers the possibility to learn about the work of STM, especially its advocacy and communication actions in Brussels, and the priorities of scholarly publishers today. It consists of support and assistance in the following areas:
· Monitor legislative and non-legislative activity, detect key issues and analyse their impact on the European/international scholarly publishing industry
· Support STM’s public affairs work, including the preparation of briefings, contact plans, newsletter articles and monitoring of parliamentary discussions
· Research and background work to support the overall activities of STM
· Knowledge of the EU Institutions, including decision-making procedures, as well as EU law
· An excellent team-player, with a demonstrated interest in publishing in the EU context
· Excellent English language skills and very good written and verbal communication skills: phone calls to arrange meetings and drafting of articles for STM members is part of the weekly job
· Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database)
· Self-motivated, well organized and able to work efficiently
· Ideally working towards a degree in political sciences or law. Previous experience in an EU institution or an EU association is an asset.
· START DATE: April 15, 2018 or latest May 1, 2018
STM internships are only open to candidates registered at a University/school/institute. The contract will be signed between EMMA – the organisation helping STM in administration in Brussels - and the student's home university. Please note that this is a compulsory condition; applications that do not match this criterion will not be short-listed.
How to apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter to Barbara Kalumenos, Director Public Affairs STM to the following email address: Kalumenos@stm-assoc.org
Subject heading: Application Public Affairs /Legal Affairs + your name
Only candidates invited for interview will be contacted.